Halloween safety tips
Following these tips can make Halloween safe and happy for you and your pets.
Keep your pets safe and happy on Halloween by taking some easy precautions.
Halloween masks and costumes can scare pets who could escape unnoticed through a frequently opened door. Keep your pets in a quiet room, away from trick-or-treaters. Make sure that your pets are wearing identification tags or are microchipped.
Felines do face other life-and-death issues around Halloween:
Pranksters can abuse or even kill black cats in some ritualistic way. Even cats of other colors may not be safe if left outdoors on October 31, when the line between tricks and animal cruelty gets horribly blurred in some people’s minds.
Chocolate can be fatal to pets.
Chocolate contains theobromine, which is toxic to dogs. Keep candy out of your pets’ reach. How much can kill? The AAHA says four to 10 ounces of milk chocolate, or one-half to an ounce of baking chocolate, can kill a small dog like a toy poodle. For medium-sized dogs, such as a cocker spaniel, one to one-and-a-half pounds of milk chocolate, or two to three ounces of baking chocolate, can be fatal. And for large breeds, two to four-and-a-half pounds of milk chocolate, or four to eight ounces of baking chocolate, can kill.
A lit jack-o-lantern or candles could singe your pets’ fur, or prove a fire hazard if your pet knocks them over.
If your pet does escape, call your local animal control agency and shelters immediately.
For more helpful tips and a convenient downloadable flyer, see http://doggonesafe.com/halloween.
This page last updated 4-3-15