About your pet’s appointment
Thank you for requesting a spay/neuter surgery with the MCHS Clinic.
To expedite scheduling and to keep our costs low, please read the following carefully, and save a copy for your reference.
Our scheduler, Kathy, will call you at the best phone number you provided to schedule your appointment usually within 5 to 7 business days. Kathy will call from (240) 252-2555 (the MCHS main number) between 11 am and 5:30 pm, Monday – Friday (not on weekends). Please make a note of this number so you don’t miss her call.
WHEN YOU RETURN THE CALL: Please call Kathy directly at (240) 547-3671 (not the MCHS main number above). This will save time in scheduling your appointment.
Surgery rates (include post-surgery pain meds and an E-collar):
Cat spay: $175
Cat neuter: $110
Dog spay (<40 lbs.): $250
Dog spay (40-60 lbs. max): $325
Dog neuter: $180
Additional charges for unforeseen circumstances including:
Cryptorchid (retained testicles): $15 to $50 extra, depending on the pet’s circumstances
Hernia repair: $15 extra
Retained baby teeth: $10 each tooth
Vaccines: Rabies, K9 DAPP, K9 Bordatella, Cat FVRCP: $15 each — all are 1-year vaccines.
Tests: Heartworm (dog) and FeLV/FIV (cat): $25 each
Other services (deworming, anal gland expression, HW preventative) also available for additional fee.
All rates and fees subject to change without notice
Rabies vaccine is mandatory for all patients – Please bring your pet’s rabies certificate on surgery day, or to speed check-in, email it to email@example.com beforehand. If you do not have proof of a current rabies vaccine, we will vaccinate your pet on surgery day for an additional cost of $15.
Pre-surgery blood work is REQUIRED for pets 7+ years of age, for the safety of your pet. This is optional for younger pets. You must have this pre-operative blood work performed at another veterinarian, as the MCHS Clinic is not a full-service clinic and does not provide blood work.
Medical history: For patients with medical conditions, bring your pet’s medical records.
Keep your appointment! Cancellations of less than 24 hours in advance and no-shows will be charged an additional $25 fee for a rescheduled appointment.
Cancellations drive up our costs. If you must cancel, please call Kathy at (240) 547-3671 ASAP, Monday through Friday, so we can schedule another waiting pet quickly. Cancellations for Monday appointments must be received by 12 noon on Friday before the appointment.
Review forms in advance:
You will be required to sign a Surgical Anesthesia Release the morning of surgery. Please review this release in advance so you will be familiar with the form you’ll sign and save time during check-in.
You will receive more information prior to surgery day.
Thank you again for choosing MCHS!
What to Prepare:
- DO NOT FEED your pet after 10 p.m. the day before surgery. You may provide water at all times. Keep your pet inside after 8 p.m., with only short walks for dogs for elimination purposes.
- Rabies certificate: Bring a copy of your pet’s rabies vaccination certificate; a tag is not acceptable. If you don’t have the certificate, or your pet is not vaccinated, we will vaccinate the pet for $15.
- Bloodwork: Bring a copy of you pet’s bloodwork results (within past 30 days) for pets 7 years and older.
- Medical history: For pets with medical conditions, bring your pet’s medical records.
On Surgery Day – NOTE DIFFERENT ARRIVAL TIMES FOR CATS AND DOGS
- DOGS: Arrive at 8:00 am. Each dog must be on a leash. Small dogs under 10 pounds can be in a carrier.
- CATS: Arrive at 8:15 am. Each cat must be in a separate carrier, even if they normally get along. No exceptions – this is for your cats’ safety and wellbeing.
- The Clinic is located at 601 S. Stonestreet Ave. in Rockville, MD. Drive into the parking lot located behind the building.
- When you arrive, park in a numbered space, STAY IN YOUR CAR and call the receptionist at (240) 328-8051 when you arrive. Masks are required at all times!
- The receptionist will provide check-in instructions and paperwork
- Remain in your car, with your pet while signing paperwork. Once all paperwork has been completed, call (240) 328-8051. This process will take about 15 minutes.
Throughout the Day
MCHS Clinic Staff will monitor your pet throughout the day, and will call you with any concerns. Please keep your phone’s ringer on and available, make sure your voicemail box can accept new messages if necessary, and check messages frequently.
Pet Pick-up (Masks required at time of pick-up)
- Plan to pick up your pet between 4:00 and 4:30 pm. MCHS Clinic Staff will discuss the services performed, provide post-operative instructions, and collect payment.
- We accept cash, VISA and MasterCard, and checks. If you plan to pay with cash, please bring exact change. Be sure to ask any questions at this time.
- The MCHS team will bring your pet to your car. We strongly recommend that you drive directly home, so your pet can be made comfortable for recovery in their home environment as quickly as possible.